Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Solutions (your busted crap)

I guess I’ve always been about solutions.  I hate (yes hate) the unresolved.  I'm sure it’s both a positive and negative part of my personality.  I enjoy it…problem solving…and don’t always mind when I have to dig a little deeper or spend a little more time repairing something.    I am often asked to fix cars, houses, electronics, all types of off- the -wall oddities and, more often than not, that which lands on my doorstep has been deemed irreparable, too expensive to repair or has already been in the hands of some overconfident under-skilled bohemian who has only made matters worse.  The rewards are often deeply personal, artistic and even sometimes come with a financial reward.  There are, however, exceptions.

Some time ago, a “friend” came to the door with a car problem.  It was a simple check engine light issue that required the replacement of a sensor.  The sensor was about $150.  I was asked repeatedly if I could just “patch it up” cheaply.  I explained that “patch it up” was not an option available.  I also recommend repairing the issue as soon as possible because leaving it would raise other more costly concerns.  Of course the repair was not made, the car continued to be driven, then a few months later it was back in my driveway with a more serious and costly problem.  This example is just one in a thousand.  The variables may differ but the story is always essentially the same.
Why do people feel that it’s ok to ask for help and advice, ignore it, then return with a bigger problem in hand, shoulders shrugged as if to say, “yeah I know you said that would happen but I couldn’t get around to it.  How much will this cost me?  Is there a cheap “patch it up” option?
Why do people feel that it’s ok to go to someone like me and say, “Hey man, I totally spent my money on useless plastic bullshit, and now my important stuff doesn’t work.  Can you help me out?  I don’t have much money.  I'm really in a bind man…you’re a good guy…all your stuff works….cant you take your one day off and crawl around the wrecking yard and find me a cheap part.  I’ll be at home playing video games…call me when it’s done.”  I can’t tell you how many times this has happened. 
I know what you’re thinking.  Why don’t I tell them to pound salt? Why don’t I tell them to take a flying screw at a rolling donut?  In the last few years of my life I have begun to do exactly that.  I used to think it was my duty.  I used to think it was my lot in life to be there for people when they asked for help, no matter the personal cost.  What good are all these talents if I don’t put them to use, I wondered? 
I have learned that there are a great many people in the world who will simply take advantage.  I wanted to deny that revelation to myself for a long time, even at the cost of my own sense of value or self esteem.  I never wanted to believe that someone would rather their own problem cost ME more than THEM.    I don’t think I’ve become cynical, but I have grown up a little.  I recognize that there are people, really nice friendly people, who have no problem throwing their hands in the air and crying for help when something they could have prevented happens. 
Accidents happen, and I get that.  Situations arise.  Money is tight all around and that’s all a part of it.  Yes, I am very fortunate to be able to understand the workings of most things, fabricate parts from most materials etc…but there-in lies what I’m getting at.  When I go to someone for assistance with something I cannot do, I LISTEN.  Recently, I’ve been on a yoga journey.  I am not a yoga instructor.  I have no desire to be a yoga instructor.  I must rely on the professional opinion and help from those who have invested in the time and tools to learn to help fat, inflexible A-types like me.  If I ignore my yoga instructors, I will be injured or worse.  I must pay attention; do what is recommended and put into practice what I have learned. 
In my shop are tools.  Tools I have invested in over decades of practice, learning and effort.  My hands are capable, but they are calloused, hard and worn from doing what I love to do.  I have arrived at a point in my life where I see myself as having true value.  Not in a vain, silly, obnoxious way, but in the sense that I possess a skill set that is dying out.  There just aren’t that many people like me left.  I have often been referred to as a “renaissance man.”  That’s great…and to be honest I kind of like it in an embarrassing sort of way, but not too many decades back folks like me where the norm.   If you find yourself in need of assistance from one such as myself, try to remember that they can do that which you do not have the skill to accomplish on your own.  Try to keep in mind that it is their kindness of character that motivates them to put aside their own time to help you back to functionality.  They are often more skilled, more experienced and more forgiving than the “professional” you do not want to pay.
 Their hourly rate? Proper respect, common courtesy and genuine appreciation.

No comments:

Post a Comment