Saturday, March 2, 2013

Mariposa: the road to humility.

By the time I'd lost aout 30-35 pounds I was intent on covering one serious long distance ride before the end of summer, 2012.  I had already done the distance, but only on the flat lands and knew with some fear that hills and hill climbing were in my near future.  I looked on a map, one I had been tracing routes into with a highlighter, and spotted Mariposa.  I committed mentally to the challenge but knew the only way to cement the idea was to say it out loud as an intention.
This little mind game of mine has always been a tool I have used to motivate myself, as I would rather die trying than face the embarressment of not following through.
Several times already I had enlisted the help of my dad, whose interest in cycling I inherited, to go to a place some distance away and wait for me.  This way, I was sure not to turn back or give up. 
This time, with trepidation, I sent him off to Mariposa..(in reality he would leave sometime later than I,  would pass me on the road somewhere and arrive at the destination ahead of time to wait for me.  Lunch, gas, and my safe arrival have been his reward.  His company and help have been mine.) and set of in the cool morning air.  The ride was wonderful and suprisingly easy for the first 60 miles or so over smooth country backroads and rolling hills to the small roadside community of Catheys Valley.  The last 26 miles were quite different.  Two 2000 ft climbs, one after the other stood between me and Mariposa.  I shifted down low and start the first major uphill climb.  Quickly I questioned my own sanity and judgment.  My legs burned, my lungs ached and by the time I was nearing the apex I had been reduced to pedaling about 200 yards at a time, stop for 30 seconds, another 200 yards and another stop.  By the time I reached the final rapid decent into Mariposa and my waiting father I had learned a few things.  For my amazing bicycle and its own technical excellence, great admiration.  The hills in general, new found respect.  For my own sense of accomplishment, humility...but though it all, I could not get the damn smile off my face!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment