Friday, March 15, 2013

My Compass, My Passion.

“Do you know, where you’re going to…do you know the things that life is showing you….where are you going to….do you know?”   Diana Ross’ theme from the movie “Mahogany” (besides hinting at my age) hints at the notion that maybe, just maybe, we have some kind of built in compass that provides us with an inherent internal guidance system.  The song suggests that if we do not like the direction our lives are taking, we have but to change our heading and follow a different path.

When I was learning to fly a few years back, I was introduced to a navigational aid called an ADF or Automatic  Direction Finder.  It’s an instrument mounted in the cockpit of an airplane, or boat for that matter, with  compass headings printed around an index card and a needle in the middle that picks up a desired radio frequency.  To fly or travel toward the broadcast signal, you turn your craft until the needle lines up and you are on your way.  A bit oversimplified, but again, the idea being that if your course is not the one you want, you have but to make a simple correction before continuing forward. 
Wouldn’t it be wonderful if life was just this easy?  Unfortunately our personal destinations, be they romantic, professional or otherwise are mostly hidden from us.  We begin our journeys with a preconceived vision of what our successful completion will look and feel like, but when we get there it’s often nothing like what we thought it would be, either better or worse.  Ralph Waldo Emerson’s famous quote, “Life is a journey, not a destination,” is almost as much a warning to the brave as it is a truism.
I have, at times, in my own journey felt as though I’ve been stumbling about in a fog.  Busily and aggressively stumbling, actively seeking, yet stumbling still.  Like a blind man in a dark cave, reaching for walls that are not there, grasping for that reassuring feedback that I'm not alone and am, at the very least, heading in the right direction.  Even horses get to wear ‘blinders’ on the sides of their eyes to keep them trotting along in the desired direction.  How many times I have wanted for that Automatic Direction Finder to steer a true or better heading.  How many times I would have settled for one of those magic eight ball novelties.  Shaking a simple “yes” or “no” on that floating dice would have helped a great deal, accurate or not. 
Many times, it’s true, that it was not a compass I was lacking at all, but “compass-ion.”  Acting in selfishness, not malicious selfishness but that nearly invisible selfishness that comes with its own set of ‘blinders’ so that you are not distracted by what’s around you, to the degree that by only focusing on myself I failed to see the opportunity around me.  My “passion” sometimes only included me alone in my decision making processes.

I like the word “compassion.”  It’s been described as co-suffering.  That definition is too hard to just walk past and ignore. The older I become, the more convinced I am that it is in fact the opposite of “selfishness.”  To follow a compass, whose dial is indexed not in references of North, South, East and West, but in degrees of passion is a far better instrument to trust with our life path. 
There are so many things to be passionate and com-passionate about.  With every turn toward compassion, every course correction in the direction of concern for one another, the better we become at receiving those signals that guide and shape who we eventually become.  It’s really amazing to me that like the fog that sometimes has enshrouded my own hopes and dreams, how quickly selfishness dissipated into nothingness when I took my ‘blinders’ off to the world around me.  Experience has shown me, sometimes over and over again, that by simply pausing momentarily to observe the needs, wants, hopes and dreams of others, my own destinations beacon becomes loud and clear. 
Cycling has been (sorry about this one) a rather “circular” journey for me.  As a young teenager I was an avid cyclist and loved every single sweaty pedal stroke.  Then, for reasons I cannot justify but can drop nicely into the “selfishness” box, I put riding aside.  For thirty years, literally, I dreamed of cycling but never said a word.  I could find no signal to follow, no nifty little arrow to guide me back to something I loved so much, and no one to trust enough to reach out too.  It was in loving another that it came back to me.  It’s a lesson I have not forgotten.  By keeping my blinders off, others have been inspired to follow.  Needs have been met, hope has been given and kindness extended… in many directions.  Answers have been found, goals achieved and new motives set in place.  All I had to do, and it seems so simple, was to stop clawing and scratching my way in the darkness, stop peering through the fog of my own self centered ambition… and have a little look around.  
Compassion….Wiki defines it as “…the understanding or empathy for the suffering of others. It is regarded as a fundamental part of human love, and a cornerstone of greater social interconnection and humanism —foundational to the highest principles in philosophy, society, and personhood.”  I can think of no other beacon I would rather have guide me through life, the pursuit of happiness….and the open road.  

No comments:

Post a Comment